Magic, Casting spells and their Effects
Every spell in the game consists of several parts:
· way of transferring the spell (carrier)
· effect of the spell
· way of casting the spell (magical formula, gesticulation, dance,…)
· cost of the spell in magenergy (mag, MG)
It´s obligatory for every player to know the bold text, no matter what the character knows/doesn´t know about magic.
Way of transferring a spell
There are different ways of transferring a spell from a source (magician, scroll,..) to a target. Basic ways:
- Hand contact – the effect of a spell takes place the moment of contact of the source’s hand with the body of the target (armor doesn´t make any difference). The touch has to happen before the combat ends. The touch may not be painful nor unpleasant in any way.
- The moment of contact of the source´s hand with the body of the target the spell is successfully casted.
- Weapon or staff contact – a spell can be transferred through a weapon. The moment of a valid hit (armor doesn´t make any difference), the source (or owner of the enchanted weapon) exclaims the effect of the spell. The spell disappears from the weapon or staff the moment of the first valid hit or when the combat ends.
- Defending the hit can be done by shield or weapon. The moment of a valid hit, the spell is successfully casted.
- Enchanted weapons don’t cause any injuries!
- Magical projectile – the spell (projectile) is represented by a physical carrier (a ball, paperball, clothball…) that is thrown at the target. After hitting the first object, (which changes the trajectory of the projectile) the effect takes place (even the ground or a tree can be affected by the spell) and the carrier no longer contains the spell. The hit by the projectile is valid to any part of the body (excluding head), armor, weapon or shield.
- The moment of contact of the projectile and target (or target´s weapon, shield or armor) the spell is successfully casted. Projectiles can´t be defended by weapon nor shield.
- Pointing – the most difficult way of transferring a spell. After casting (verbal spell), the target is automatically hit. Valid distance of this kind of casting is 10 steps, but hearing abilities of the target should also be considered. If the source of the spell recognizes that the target didn´t hear the spell, the spell is cancelled, didn´t cost any mags, and the source can try again.
- The moment the target acknowledges the spell, the effect takes place immediately and the spell was successfully casted.
- Area spell – represented by throwing a handful of peas (or other seeds, corns,..) over a certain area. Everyone in that area is affected by the spell. The spell is casted with the loudly spoken word “Ploshny” (affecting the surface of the area).
- The moment of contact of the seed and target (incl. weapon, shield) the spell is successfully casted. It can´t be defended by a weapon nor shield.
To magician´s staff: The staffs themselves don´t cause any physical injury, they are used only for the purpose of transferring the magical spells. The staffs have to be softened just like weapons and have to be approved at the registration.
Effects of spells
The effects of combat spells are currently limited to a certain amount. Every effect has it´s keyword. Keywords are the basics of the current system and it´s obligatory that everyone (players and their characters) knows the keywords!
Outside of combat more effects can exist, which takes longer to explain. These spells are casted exclusively outside of combat, where the source can properly explain the effect of the spell to the target. (For example spells causing certain hallucinations – the cleric´s magic or similar, is purely non-combat.)
Combat spells and the keywords
The most important part of this article. It´s important to know the keywords in Czech – at least their czech phonetic transcription.
- “Lehký” – ( [Lehki:] - Minor) – inflicts one minor injury to the target. Target character counts 1 LZ (lehké zranění – minor injury)
- “Těžký” – ( [Tieshki:] – Heavy) – inflicts one heavy injury to the target. Target character counts 1 TZ (těžké zranění – heavy injury) and falls into agony.
- “Štít” – ( [Shti:t] – Shield) – Protects the target from the first physical injury in combat. The target then exclaims “Odolal” (Resisted), similar to the Resistance skill. Effect lasts max. 1 hour from the moment of casting.
- Every character can have max. 1 shield at the time.
- Doesn´t protect from magical injuries nor any other effects of the spell.
- “Štít” is exclaimed by the source the moment of casting the spell. For resisting a physical injury the target uses the keyword “Odolal”.
- “Žár” – ( [Zha:r] – Blaze) – inflicts one minor injury to the target and sets it on fire. If the target doesn´t start putting the fire out immediately, the spell inflicts one heavy injury and the target falls into agony.
- Putting the fire out can be done by pouring water over the target, jumping in the stream, rolling on the ground or with the help of others.
- “Mráz” – ( [Mra:z] – Freeze) – inflicts one minor injury and the effect “Past” takes place. The target is inflicted by 1 minor injury and can´t move from the spot for 10 seconds.
- “Strach” – ( [Strax] - Fear) – the target is afraid of the source. The target can´t look at nor attack the source, and can move only in the direction away from the source. The spell ends when the target can´t see nor hear the source.
- “Vlna” – ( [Vlna] - Wave) – inflicts one minor injury and knocks the target on the ground. The target can get up as soon as his torso touches the ground (Back and ribcage counts as torso)
- “Kletba” – ( [Kletba] - Curse) – means that the following spells of the target cost twice as much and all positive effects (enchantments, blessings, spells, enchantments of weapons) are removed from the target. Lasts till the end of the combat – the target can´t even receive any positive effects.
- “Stáze” – ( [Sta:ze] – Stasis) – the target is immune against all spells and injury for 10 seconds, the target can´t move, cast spells nor attack during that time. No visible movements are allowed during that time (breathing is ok, but screaming, pointing or nodding is forbidden)
- The target technically looses it´s physical body for 10 sec.
- The target loudly counts the 10 sec interval: “9, 8, 7,….”
- “Spánek” – ( [Spa:nek] – Sleep) – the target immediately falls asleep for 5 minutes. The target wakes up after 5 minutes, or earlier by inflicting an injury on the target, or when someone wakes the target up by shaking it and yelling “Get up”, “Wake up”, “Vzbuď se”, “Vstávej”.
- “Past” *– ( [Past] - Trap*) – means the target can´t move for 10 seconds from the spot the target was standing the moment of casting the spell (can´t lift feet from the ground). The rest of the body is movable
* there are objects in the game called “pasti” – traps. Characters with the skill Pasti – Traps can create those. Connected with those are the keywords:
- “Odolal” – ( [Odolal] – Resisted) – the target of the spell/trap/attack resists the effect of the spell/trap or injury inflicted by attack (thanks to “Magical resistance”, “Resistance”,..)
- “Spadla klec” – ( [Spadla klec] – Captured (by the trap)) – Keyword to set the trap.
Approve of the form, casting and the cost of a spell
These informations are partially secret, meant only for Mages and other magical characters, but generally the cost of a spell and the time of it´s casting depends on the combination of the effect and the way the spell is transferred. The form and precise casting is always approved by the Master and after its creation, the spell is recorded in the magical book!
The term “combat“ – many skills and effects in the game refer to the combat (“ till the end of the combat”,…). Boundaries of the situation combat are pretty intuitive – following definitions describes and limits the combat in the game:
For every character any activity, caused by the character itself or by the surrounding towards the character can start a combat. (The start of the combat is for example an enemy running towards the character with it´s weapon ready to strike.) The combat ends with the moment a fight or a battle, in which the character took part, ends, or the character runs far enough not to see or hear anything from the fight anymore. (For example when a character takes part in a fight against bandits, then makes a pause to sit down by a tree while the others are still fighting or trying to talk their way out of it, and the character then rejoins the battle – it´s still one combat – the skills (Resistance,..) don´t reset, effects are still valid,…)